Manchester United defender Chris Smalling was rushed to hospital in Indonesia after fainting following an aggressive bout of food poisoning.
There were reports early on Monday that Smalling had been stung by a jellyfish while learning to surf after a picture of a man, believed to be Smalling, surfaced on social media.
The injured man in the pictures appears to be wearing a neck brace while bandages can also be seen around his head and his left wrist.
However, United moved to quell such reports with a short statement.
“Manchester United can clarify Chris Smalling has had food poisoning during his holiday which resulted in him fainting on Sunday,” they said.
Pemain MU, Chris Smalling disengat Ubur-ubur di Bali saat belajar Selancar pic.twitter.com/egDgVHSCNs
— INDONESIAinLOVE (@INDONESIAinLOVE) July 4, 2016
“The 26-year-old defender was taken to the hospital and is now feeling fine.
“Smalling is currently on vacation in Bali following his time with England at Euro 2016 before reporting back for pre-season training later this month.
“Chris would like to thank everyone for their well wishes.”